Thursday, March 1

The mysteries of new software

Yesterday a friend of mine innocently sent me a link to Amazon.com's deal of the day, which was Adobe Lightroom.

I have seen Lightroom used by many photographers, and been curious as to what it was, but hadn't yet seriously considered purchasing it. The software retails for $300 (a rich price tag, as is the case with all Adobe software) and Amazon had it for $90 yesterday.

So after thought and research, I went for it, and my new software should be here in a few days! In the meanwhile, when I was researching, I downloaded the 30-day trial version so I could take a look at it.

And I realized I'd have a lot of work to do to learn the program.

But, it will be worth it. While Photoshop's specialty is detailed manipulation of single files, as I understand it, Lightroom is an image handling and archiving system that makes your workflow a lot more efficient and seamless when you come back from a photo shoot. It can also do some basic editing, but I will probably still use Photoshop primarily, as I know enough about it now to have my favorite little tricks that I combine to produce the style of photo that I like.

So now I have Lightroom tutorials open in tabs on my browser, but it's too bad that we're 28 pages in the paper this week, and will be so busy with the paper for the next month, because I won't have a lot of spare time for my new program. It will have to be my early-morning-hours project.

In the meanwhile, here's to lots of income from lots of ads in the Roundup! It makes for a lot more work on the editorial side, but we've got to make hay while the sun shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment