Monday, March 28

Blueberry Walnut Pancakes


I enjoy making breakfast on the weekends, and Saturday morning's menu last weekend included Blueberry Walnut Pancakes.


I've been enjoying a lot of blueberries lately, mostly with yogurt and granola. Usually I would use frozen, but since fresh blueberries are frequently on sale these days, I went ahead and used some of my fresh berries for the pancakes.


The recipe also features whole wheat flour, and if I'd been thinking I would have thrown in some ground flax seed.


As with many whole-grain recipes, it calls for beating the egg whites until fluffy to keep the batter nice and fluffy. It really works, and is worth the extra effort. I love my KitchenAid mixer, I use it for everything and it's a very hard worker in my kitchen.


When the whites are beaten to stiff peaks you fold them into the flour/egg mixture batter.


The batter even looks nice and fluffy uncooked.


Then the blueberries are folded into the batter before spooning into a preheated griddle.


When they start to bubble, it's time to flip. This recipe doesn't bubble as much as some, so I could have flipped them earlier than I did on this first batch.


Looking good!


The recipe makes a really small batch. Mine only made six pancakes of this size, but Scott and I each ate three and because of the whole grain they were filling and we were more than satisfied.


I copied this recipe down a while ago, so I forget where it came from, but here is the card, if you want to give it a try. I highly recommend them!

No comments:

Post a Comment