Monday, June 13

Roundup designer for the week


This photo was one of the main focuses of my biggest task last week - laying out the paper for Tracy, our designer, to give her somewhat of a week off.

Our intern Tressa wrote the article about how the Casper College men's rodeo team made it to the College National Finals Rodeo (CNFR) for the first time in a long time, and it was that photo above, or this one below, that I chose to use on the cover of the June 11 paper.


I didn't really know how to make the photo itself stand out in our cover layout, so what I ended up with was this image below, after I'd cut out and cleaned up the photo's subject in Photoshop, and applied Pioneer Woman's 'Old West' action at a diluted opacity - I like the drop shadow it created:


And, after creating new color swatches from the bronc saddle and from the red team vest, this is the color scheme I ended up with for the cover:


After somewhat of a fight - and figuring out how to create a clipping path in InDesign - I got the text to wrap around the image, and am pretty pleased with how it ended up.

The other articles on last week's cover featured the CattleFax report on cattle markets from the Stock Growers convention in early June, the most recent Wild Lands happenings, a new bill introduced to Congress on federal lands grazing regulations, and an update on the state's runoff situation. That last one wasn't supposed to be an article - just a short 100-word update - but my source for that information is excellent, and before I knew it I had 1,400 words in notes and another article for the cover.

So that's a little bit of what kept me busy last week, in addition to hosting dinner for the Roundup girls Monday and having Morgan and Emily Zelch for the night on Friday night. The evenings in between were spent on house projects, and this last weekend was spent moving cows at the Association and watching the Bulls, Broncs and Breakaway performance yesterday at the CNFR.

No comments:

Post a Comment